Andrea Beça [An-dree-uh Bes-suh] - Professional Storyteller
When I was around six, I had the opportunity to write, illustrate, and bind my own storybook. From that point onward, I knew that storytelling would be the heart of my career and life.
I graduated from the University of Alberta with a BA in English Literature and Creative Writing and from the University of Glasgow with an MLitt in Playwriting and Dramaturgy. When asked what I write, I like to say I've written a whole lot of everything, from short stories and novellas to reports, essays, plays, blog posts, screenplays, speeches, web content, e-books, and ad campaigns.
I spent many years using my skills in a variety of fields, from working in theatre to communications to social media, the sciences, and advertising. In 2015, I realized that all of these skills were actually pieces of the larger picture, and that my larger picture - my ultimate passion - is storytelling.
My vast array of experience has left me a strong, well-rounded storyteller. One who can see the big and small picture, who can shape and create a project from start to finish (and pull in the right partners when extra hands and minds are needed), and who can then get that project to the right audiences.
No matter what the medium is, I help my clients tell their story in a moving, engaging, and effective way. It's what I love to do, and what I am grateful I get to do every single day.
A few random facts about me:
- I started an indie theatre company, Cowardly Kiss Theatre, when I was just 19, through which I wrote directed, and produced plays for almost a decade.
- In 2011, I started shooting and editing video. In 2013, I made the official move from theatre into film - I've produced, written, directed, shot, and edited a number of films through my indie company, Kissing Habit Films, since then.
- I've gone through phases as an avid blogger. Back in 2006, a band from Belgium whom I had never met wrote a song about me inspired by my travel blog.
- I have a bit of an obsession with year-long projects. I have successfully completed a 365-day blog, a 52-week ukulele project, and two 365-day photo projects.
- I've been to many countries in the world, but the Rocky Mountains of Alberta are still one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.
- That being said, there are pieces of my heart in Scotland, Ireland, and Portugal.
- My family is Portuguese from Mozambique - and yes, I speak Portuguese.
- Some of my greatest fears seem silly from the outside - I'm terrified of ladybugs and E.T.
- I have spent most of my life in leadership roles, fighting for equality for women. This sparked me to start my podcast, That's So Maven!, in 2016 - it's centred on femmes in business and leadership.
- I'm a Libra and I am terrible at picking favourites, but my favourite colour is teal, and my favourite number is nine.
Now you know a little bit about me. So tell me, what's your story?